Friday, October 15, 2010

5 Componenets to teaching your child to read... #1-Phonemic Awareness

Something I terribly miss about teaching is teaching kids to read. I got a specific certification in reading to help me be more qualified in teaching kids to read and I loved it. I am bound and determined to make sure my kids can read, and read as early as they can. Reading is one of those things that we can't get by without, and the better we read and comprehend the information the better off we will be in our other learning. So, I am going to post each day the 5 steps it takes to teach your child to read and a tool that you can use to teach your child that skill. The first step in learning to read is Phonemic Awareness which is the ability to manipulate sounds to make words. This book, is amazing. I have found that if you wanted to use this book alone to teach your child phonemic awareness, it would do the job. It has activities you do with your child and all the materials to do the activities are in the book. You can buy it on amazon for $11. Click on the picture and it will take you to it. Enjoy! Tomorrow, I will post the 2nd component to teaching your child to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment